Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Individual Protest, or Bottling Day

Several weeks ago I wrote a piece about the small everyday things a person can do on an individual basis to "thumb their nose" at government. In this post I talked about legal ways to keep from paying certain taxes. One of the things I discussed was making your own beer or wine to keep from having to pay "sin taxes" on alcohol.

Well I have made a pledge to myself that I will no longer buy any form of taxed alcohol after Kentucky's new alcohol tax goes into effect. Several weeks ago I bought a beer making kit and all the necessary tools to go along with being able to set up home brewing for personal enjoyment. Today will be the day I bottle my first batch of beer. If all goes well, not only will I have "thumbed my nose" at government and refused them some of my hard earned money, but I will also have picked up a new, enjoyable hobby.

I urge each and everyone of you to find some small way to make a difference yourself. Very rarely in human history have vast changes come quickly. More often than not the changes come very slowly and over a period of time. Start doing your part to erode what authority you can however you can.*

*I do not recommend that anyone do anything illegal to do this, there are plenty of ways to subvert authority and government in perfectly legal ways. All you have to do is have a little imagination and determination.

1 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

I do recommend that you do "illegal" things. Face it, you can't avoid it anymore anyway. Assert your freedom however you can, just don't violate the rights of anyone else while doing so.

 
Politics